odata-comment message

Subject: Proposing additional annotations - Capabilities: Referenceable

Hi,

After some service-readiness preparation, we encountered another annotation we would like to be able to express in metadata that we think would be valuable in general to OData services:

Referenceable

Similar to Navigability, but a simple bool not tertiary _expression_, and potentially still part of NavigationRestrictions, we would like the ability to indicate when a navigation property supports gets and sets using $ref (and odata.bind).

For example, a service has Users and Groups.  Groups expose Members.  To enable certain scenarios, we implemented the ability to GET the Group/Members collection using /$ref, we allow specifying odata.bind when adding to this collection, and we require /$ref when deleting from this collection.  We do not support any of the above for other collections / properties though.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

~Jeff