Subject: ISO 19108:2002 Temporal schema

The following ISO standard may also be relevant. It is based on GML from Open Geospatial Consortium:

ISO 19108:2002
Geographic information -- Temporal schema
http://www.iso.org/iso/home/store/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=26013

Copy of spec document is available from here:
http://im.eurocontrol.int/wiki/index.php/ISO_19108,_Geographic_information_%E2%80%94_Temporal_schema

The standard is quite established is used heavily in many communities.