Subject: Re: [odata] Why not use JIRA for task management?

Dear Farrukh,

On 11.08.12 21:52, Farrukh Najmi wrote:
... I am curious why ODATA TC does not just use JIRA for tracking tasks /
action items just the same way as issues.
Why use a different tool when one tool can do both?

At the current state of affairs, I personally welcome the split.

A) Better integration of dedicated old-fashioned tool in OASIS portal

B) Split of per-person action items versus per-document-revision
   tasks/issues should be directly visible

(Subjective perceived) details:

To me it currently looks like the natural choice to distribute the jobs into two tools, since OASIS offers on one hand the "Action Items" List Tool (AIL) directly, connected and working inside the groups web app for members and on the other hand the "Issues List" (IL) only as a (currently broken) thirdparty link to the true JIRA Isues List (JIL).

Through the well connectedness inside the "portal", it also has the benefit, that these "person level" action items are well represented in the members profile that is linked with the roster members name display. See e.g. a randomly chosen editor's profile at:

https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/odata/members/wg_person.php?workgroup_person_id=51736

which gives a nice top-level overview of a members main tasks, whilst JIRA is mostly spread out at product and revision granularity level, thus giving many tiny entries on a "revision of document level" (at least in the normal productive phase of a TC).

Take some (randomly chosen) chair's profile (like mine) and the effect of tidyness that these tools initialy offered is - ahem - invisible ;-(

Note that if OASIS can provide confluence wiki along with JIRA in future
this would work even better since JIRA and confluence are integrated
together and status of tasks / action items can be linked into wiki
pages and kept dynamically up-to-date. Using JIRA for task tracking
leaves that option open for future.

Having stated the above and looking a few weeks into the future I think

1. the OASIS tool support chain may have substantial room for
   improvement in linkage and

2. that when the person vs. revisioned-document level split may be
    reasonably well mapped into one tool, we should IMHO of course
    consider that unified JIRA way of dealing with person associated
    tasks.

In the hope that the approx. 400 words were worth reading ...

All the best,
Stefan.