Subject: RE: [odata] Agenda for OData TC meeting on 2015-03-26 - chat transcript

Ralf Handl (SAP): Voting Members: 5 of 16 (31%)
Ralf Handl (SAP): Voting Members: 7 of 16 (43%)
Ralf Handl (SAP): Voting Members: 9 of 16 (56%)
Ralf Handl (SAP): Quorum
Ralf Handl (SAP): 2.Approve agenda
Ralf Handl (SAP): 3.Approve minutes from previous meeting(s)
Ralf Handl (SAP): a.Minutes from March 19, 2015 TC meeting: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/55353/odata-meeting-93_on-20150319-minutes.html
Ralf Handl (SAP): Minutes are approved
Ralf Handl (SAP): 4.Review action items
Ralf Handl (SAP): a.Action items due
Follow up with JSON-Schema on use for modeling
Ralf Handl (SAP): Meeting with JSON / JSON Schema experts at Microsoft
Ralf Handl (SAP): Talked through several of our issues
Ralf Handl (SAP): Two approaches discussed:
Ralf Handl (SAP): 1: add OData/modeling semantics to JSON Schema, as a standard or an extension
Ralf Handl (SAP): 2: use OData/modeling-specific JSON format that can be transformed into JSON Schema

anonymous morphed into Matt Borges (SAP)

Ralf Handl (SAP): Inheritance most problematic/controversial
Ralf Handl (SAP): Swagger uses #2: specialized JSON format whose structure is described by JSON Schema
Ralf Handl (SAP): Some suggestions on improving our draft JSON Schema representation of CSDL
Ralf Handl (SAP): Nullability can in some cases be expressed more compact
Ralf Handl (SAP): Enums problematic
Ralf Handl (SAP): #2 is similar to what we do with XML
Ralf Handl (SAP): Have specific format described by XSD
Ralf Handl (SAP): Ralf to send examples of "our" JSON Schema to Susan for validation tests
Ralf Handl (SAP): 5.Process issues
Ralf Handl (SAP): a.Issues for V4.0_ERRATA03 in New or Open state
Ralf Handl (SAP): i.OData Protocol
Ralf Handl (SAP): 1.ODATA-479 Allow Content-ID referencing in request bodies for inserting links to newly created entities
Ralf Handl (SAP): Servcies allowing $<content-id value> syntax in request bodies for inserting links SHOULD advertise this with the new term BatchContentIdReferencingInRequestBodiesSupported in the Capabilities vocabulary:

       <Term Name="BatchContentIdReferencingInRequestBodiesSupported" Type="Core.Tag" DefaultValue="true" AppliesTo="EntityContainer">
         <Annotation Term="Core.Description" String="Service supports Content-ID referencing in request bodies" />
       </Term>
Ralf Handl (SAP): Term name is rather long

Mike Pizzo: I move we resolve ODATA-479 as proposed, including giving clear guidance to V4 clients that this is a new pattern and that they should check capabilities before assuming service support.

Martin Zurmuehl: I second

Ralf Handl (SAP): ODATA-479 is resolved as proposed
Ralf Handl (SAP): 2.ODATA-790 Bug in example 70
Ralf Handl (SAP): change example 70 to:
 <Function Name="MostRecentOrder" IsBound="true">
   <Parameter Name="customer" Type="SampleModel.Customer" />
   <ReturnType="SampleModel.Order" />
 </Function>
Ralf Handl (SAP): Current text uses attribute notation for ReturnType, which is no longer supported
Ralf Handl (SAP): ODATA-790 is OPEN

Martin Zurmuehl: I move to resolve ODATA-790 as proposed

Mike Pizzo: I second

Ralf Handl (SAP): ODATA-790 is resolved as proposed
Ralf Handl (SAP): 3.ODATA-791 11.2.5.2 System Query Option $orderby: specify order of Edm.Boolean and Edm.Geo
Ralf Handl (SAP): Edm.Boolean: null < false < true
 Edm.Geo*, Edm.Stream: no sorting possible

Ramesh Reddy(Red Hat): In SQL it is explicit http://docs.oracle.com/javadb/10.6.2.1/ref/rrefsqlj13658.html

Ralf Handl (SAP): ODATA-791
Ralf Handl (SAP): All: check with programming languages whether any of them have a problem with false < true, add comment to Jira issue for those languages
Ralf Handl (SAP): Deferred to next meeting
Ralf Handl (SAP): 4.ODATA-794 14.4.2.2: Create Related Entities When Creating an Entity

Matt Borges (SAP): I have to drop off for another meeting now.

Ralf Handl (SAP): Do not partially restate the 201/204 rule from section 11.4.2 and shorten paragraph 3 to:

 On success, the service MUST create all entities and relate them. If the service responds with 201 Created, the response MUST be expanded to at least the level that was present in the deep-insert request.
Ralf Handl (SAP): ODATA-794 is OPEN
Ralf Handl (SAP): On success, the service MUST create all entities and relate them. If the request included a return Prefer header with a value of return=representation and is applied by the service, the response MUST be expanded to at least the level that was present in the deep-insert request.

Mike Pizzo: I move we resolve ODATA-791 as proposed.

Mark Biamonte (Progress): I second

Mike Pizzo: Sorry; I move we resolve ODATA-794 as proposed.

Mark Biamonte (Progress): I second resolving ODATA-794

Ralf Handl (SAP): ODATA-794 is resolved as proposed
Ralf Handl (SAP): 5.ODATA-800 Media streams section does not reference the AtomPub spec
Ralf Handl (SAP): ODATA-800 is OPEN
Ralf Handl (SAP): All: if you have use cases for the slug header, please add them to the Jira issue
Ralf Handl (SAP): Deferred until Jira issue contains a proposal
Ralf Handl (SAP): ii.OData Vocabularies
Ralf Handl (SAP): 1.ODATA-779        Org.OData.Core.V1 defines Term IsURL but references it as IsUrl
Ralf Handl (SAP): ODATA-779 is OPEN
Ralf Handl (SAP): Fix the reference to refer to "Core.IsURL".

Martin Zurmuehl: I propose to resolve ODATA-779 as proposed

Mark Biamonte (Progress): I second

Mike Pizzo: With direction to the editors to ensure it is correct cased in all uses.

Ralf Handl (SAP): ODATA-779 is resolved as proposed
Ralf Handl (SAP): 2.ODATA-797        Org.OData.Capabilities.V1 term property FilterRestrictions/RequiresFilter has wrong facets
Ralf Handl (SAP): ODATA-797 is OPEN

Martin Zurmuehl: I move to resolve ODATA-797 as proposed

Gerald Krause (SAP): I second

Ralf Handl (SAP): ODATA-797 is resolved as proposed
Ralf Handl (SAP): iii.OData CSDL
Ralf Handl (SAP): 1.ODATA-789 Primitive type Edm.Decimal is ill-defined in regard to Precision
Ralf Handl (SAP): Proposal:

Clarify that CSDL Precision for Edm.Decimal is the number of significant decimal digits.

 Allow Precision=Scale and don't count the "0." into the Precision in this special case.

 Allow exponential notation, combined with an annotation that expresses the range of the exponent (MinExponent,MaxExponent).

 Allow negative Scale and Scale larger than Precision (this requires exponential notation).

 Require that any client or server which can represent a value of type Edm.Decimal must preserve all significant digits.

Mike Pizzo: I think the first proposal is simply a clarification, and the second is correcting an issue we accidentally introduced in Errata 2 where we were confused between value range and lexical representation.
Mike Pizzo: The exponential notation with a minexponent and negative scale concern me as they are changing the interpretation of decimal.
Mike Pizzo: Ralf suggests narrowing ODATA-789 to fixing the first two issues, and addressing exponential notation issue ODATA-771 and open a new issue for negative scale.
Mike Pizzo: I move we narrow ODATA-789 to fixing the first two issues, address exponential notation issue ODATA-771 and open a new issue for negative scale.

Martin Zurmuehl: I second

Ralf Handl (SAP): Motion passes

Mike Pizzo: I move we resolve ODATA-789 as amended by addressing the first two issues, handling exponential notation in ODATA-771, and opening a new issue for negative scale.

Martin Zurmuehl: I second

Ralf Handl (SAP): ODATA-789 is resolved as proposed
Ralf Handl (SAP): Sorry, connection problems
Ralf Handl (SAP): SON representation for metadata [9.00am PT]
a.Lets walk through the document and decide on the general principles
Ralf Handl (SAP): 7.Next meeting [9:50am PT]
a.Thursday April 16, 2015 during 8-10am PDT / 17:00-19:00 CEST ?
Ralf Handl (SAP): 8.AOB and wrap up
Ralf Handl (SAP): Stefan: GeoJSON is IETF work group
Ralf Handl (SAP): Stefan will provide more information in the next meeting
Ralf Handl (SAP): Ramesh: reached out to developers of TripPin service at Microsoft
Ralf Handl (SAP): MIT licences of TripPin is OK for Apache, so Olingo project could build an example implementation
Ralf Handl (SAP): Ramesh already implemented it
Ralf Handl (SAP): Discussion on incorporating this into Olingo project is ongoing
Ralf Handl (SAP): Ralf to contact Ram on what has to be done to use TripPin as basis for examples in OData specification
Ralf Handl (SAP): Meeting is adjourned