Subject: RE: [odata] Agenda for OData TC meeting on 2015-04-30 - chat transcript

Room information was updated by: Stefan
Please register yourself at https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/odata/event.php?event_id=39096 - thanks.
anonymous morphed into jwillson (individul) MSI

Stefan: Voting Members: 1 of 15 (6%) (used for quorum calculation)

jwillson (individul) MSI: @Stefan - any interest in a new OASIS TC called CXS [The Context Server enables creation of consistent personalized user experiences across heterogeneous systems. It provides real-time actionable insights on user behavior]

Stefan: @John: Definitively yes, but I forgot to become a member early enough for the first meeting ... and have to think about realistically having time to work on that topic http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/images/wink.gif
Stefan: Voting Members: 2 of 15 (13%) (used for quorum calculation)  (I registered Johnhttp://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/images/smile.gif
Stefan: @chairs: Please sent chat transcript after meeting to odata tc list and to my account to be sure I receive it and can then create the minute draft and upload to kavi. THanks a bunch
Stefan: Voting Members: 4 of 15 (26%) (used for quorum calculation)

anonymous morphed into Matt Borges (SAP)
anonymous morphed into Matt Borges (SAP)1

Hubert Heijkers: Gentlemen, are we having conference call issues?
Hubert Heijkers: The nice lady is telling me she can't connect me to the meeting and hung up on me;-(
Hubert Heijkers: In now

Ralf Handl (SAP): Voting Members: 12 of 15 (80%)
Ralf Handl (SAP): Achieved quorum: yes
Ralf Handl (SAP): 2.Approve agenda [8:05am PT]
Ralf Handl (SAP): Agenda is approved
Ralf Handl (SAP): 3.Approve minutes from previous meeting(s)
Ralf Handl (SAP): a.Minutes from April 16, 2015 TC meeting: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/55493/odata-meeting-95_on-20150416-minutes.html
Ralf Handl (SAP): Minutes are approved
Ralf Handl (SAP): 4.Review action items [Action item list: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/odata/members/action_items.php] [8:15am PT]
a.Action items due
i.None
Ralf Handl (SAP): 5.Process issues [Issues list: https://issues.oasis-open.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20ODATA]
Ralf Handl (SAP): a.Issues for V4.0_ERRATA03 in New or Open state
Ralf Handl (SAP): i.OData CSDL
Ralf Handl (SAP): 1.ODATA-801 Consider supporting negative scale for decimal type

anonymous morphed into Matt Borges (SAP)

Ralf Handl (SAP): ODATA-801 is OPEN
Ralf Handl (SAP): Mike: changing the definition of Scale might break clients
Ralf Handl (SAP): Mike: pretending a precision larger than actually stored might result in loss of precision, but clients will be able to read the data
Ralf Handl (SAP): Mike: could add an annotation that tells that the actual precision and scale

Martin Zurmuehl: Couldn't connect to the audio...

Ramesh Reddy(Redhat): me too, it says the meeting has not started

Ralf Handl (SAP): Mark: service implementation will round a client-provided value

Martin Zurmuehl: exactly!
Martin Zurmuehl: meeting has not started, then music

Ralf Handl (SAP): Ramesh: please dial in again, we got Martin on board, so maybe it will work for you, too

Mike Pizzo: I propose we defer ODATA-801 to 4.1 release. In 4.0, services should add the absolute value of the negative scale to the returned precision. Add note to spec advising clients to be aware in this case that rounding may occur.

Martin Zurmuehl: I second

Ralf Handl (SAP): ODATA-801 is DEFERRED to 4.1, will add note to 4.0 spec
Ralf Handl (SAP): ii.OData JSON Format
1.ODATA-771 Exponential notation for Edm.Decimal values in JSON payloads
Ralf Handl (SAP): Olingo Java client rejects exponential notation
Ralf Handl (SAP): NewtonSoft JSON library converts values with exponential notation as double, which then might lead to problems with the layer on top
Ralf Handl (SAP): C# library also treats it as a double and rejects it because it isn't a decimal
Ralf Handl (SAP): Way forward could be to add a format parameter for the JSON format that clients can specify if they accept exponential notation for decimals
Ralf Handl (SAP): Mike: two options:
- preference in Prefer header (Protocol, applies to all formats)
- format parameter (specific to JSON)
Ralf Handl (SAP): Mike: seems to be more format-related than protocol-related
Ralf Handl (SAP): DecimalWithExponentialNotation=true

jwillson (individul) MSI: Sorry, thought it would only take and hour and doubly booked.

Ralf Handl (SAP): No problem
Ralf Handl (SAP): DecimalExponentialNotation=true
Ralf Handl (SAP): ExponentialDecimals=true
Ralf Handl (SAP): ScientificDecimals=true
Ralf Handl (SAP): E-Decimal
Ralf Handl (SAP): ExpDecimal

Mike Pizzo: suggest: add a format parameter, "ExponentialDecimals", that tells the service that the client is able to receive decimals as exponential notation. In presence of this format parameter, services MAY (but are not required to) persist decimal values in exponential notation.
Mike Pizzo: Clients should verify in Capabilities.SupportedFormats whether or not service supports this before sending decimal values in exponential notation.

Hubert Heijkers: I move to resolve ODATA-771 by means of introducing a format parameter, named "ExponentialDecimals", that tells the service that the client is able to receive decimals using exponential notation. In presence of this format parameter, services MAY (but are not required to) serialize decimal values in exponential notation.

Mike Pizzo: I second

Ralf Handl (SAP): ODATA-771 is resolved as proposed
Ralf Handl (SAP): 6.Next meeting [9:50am PT]
a.Thursday May 21, 2015 during 8-10am PT?

Matt Borges (SAP): I can't make it May 7th.

Ralf Handl (SAP): b.Thursday May 7, 2015 during 8-10am PT?
Ralf Handl (SAP): Next meeting: Thursday May 7, 2015 during 8-10am PT
Ralf Handl (SAP): 7.AOB and wrap up