Subject: I-JSON Message Format Specification

I compared the draft-bray-i-json-01 version of I-JSON referenced in the current OData 4.0 specification with the latest RFC version of I-JSON and found the following substantive differences between the documents

·         Section 2 – removed reference to i-json media type.

The draft document contained the following text

Specifications whose messages are specified to be I-JSON messages SHOULD specify the use of a media type of the form "application/XXX+i-json", where XXX is specific to the specification.

This text has been removed in the latest version

·         Section 4 in the new the RFC version was added.  The sub-sections of this section define that

o   The top level of the JSON response SHOULD BE either an Object or an Array

o   Defines a Must-Ignore Policy, that is if an implementation encounters an element in the message it does not understand, it MUST ignore that element

o   It is RECOMMENDED that date and time values be represented as string values in ISO 8601 format.  Additionally date and time value should use

§  Uppercase Letter

§  Timezone always be included

§  Trailing seconds always be included

o   It is RECOMMENDED that duration conform to the duration production in RFC 3339

o   It is RECOMMENDED that binary data be encoded in a string value using base64url

Of these, I think the ABNF defines seconds as optional where as I-JSON recommends that they always be included.  I am not sure about the base64URL encoding for binary data .  I know we talked about base64url for binary data in the last meeting, but the ABNF lists base64url as todo.

Mark