Subject: RE: action item 3913 - Concept for binary data format

Hi Christof,

Sounds like you had different expectations/requirements for Compact JSON, mind sharing them?

What drove me to write up this spec, based on what I at the time prototyped and by now is in TM1, was overall performance, most notably processing responses client side (at it turns out the time it takes to generate server side, the bare-bones way we do it, it didn't really matter much).

Personally I think that most efficiency is being had by the fact that people in their implementation are forced to spend time on writing that efficient client code, as opposed to using a generic JSON deserializer and then convert the JSON structure into whatever works for them.

And I don't have to explain to you that not having to convert numeric, especially floating point and decimal values, into strings and parsing those again, but this also applies to other types, but passing them in binary form would take another chunk out of the time it takes to process these responses.

BTW Ralf already did the comparison between gzipped JSON and Compact JSON in 2018 and it's a wash, virtually the same size remains.

Never gotten to try a binary format in a prototype, prefer to reuse some format that would map nicely (read: I can refer to metadata, describe, using context, what's in this payload and stream the result). But if such a binary format doesn't exists it wouldn't be to hard to come up with one based on Compact JSON either. It gets a bit hairy where we have data that is nicely described and then include more free-form pieces, presuming we'd want to be able to use it for all payloads and not have restrictions like my proposal had. In compact JSON we can fall back on 'regular' JSON (not worked into the proposal as such yet) I suppose we'd have to come up with a way to represent such data in a binary format as well. Are you aware of an existing binary format that would map neatly?

TTYT,

-H

Hubert Heijkers | STSM, Chief Architect TM1 Server and OData Evangelist | IBM Business Analytics | +31-621-394123
"The crisis of today is the joke of tomorrow" - H.G. Wells

Inactive hide details for Christof Sprenger ---05-08-2020 08:05:33 PM---Hi Hubert, Thanks for forwarding that document.Christof Sprenger ---05-08-2020 08:05:33 PM---Hi Hubert, Thanks for forwarding that document.

From: Christof Sprenger <chrispre@microsoft.com>
To: Hubert Heijkers <Hubert.Heijkers@nl.ibm.com>
Cc: "odata@lists.oasis-open.org" <odata@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 05-08-2020 08:05 PM

Hi Hubert,

Thanks for forwarding that document.
I guess I made some wrong assumptions in what direction compact JSON is going.
This idea about removing the repeating property names to reduce the size is really interesting.

I would like to make the suggestion to actually calculate the effect of different approaches. We could decide on some representative responses to run through: traditional JSON, compact JSON, and binary serialization. All with and without compression (gzip). Beside comparing size we should also look into the effort to write client code dealing with this.

Christof