odf-adoption-comment message

Subject: Introduce UOML TC and invitation to our phone meeting

Dear Sir or Madam:

My name is Allison Shi, am a member of OASIS UOML TC which started running
early this year. We just had our 5th meeting two weeks ago. Here I like to
give you a brief introduction about our UOML, and invite anyone who are
interested in joinning our meeting. The meeting usually holds in the third
week of each month.

UOML is short for Unstructured Operation Markup Language; it describes an
interface for digital document, including protocols, schemas, data formats
and their encoding. We consider UOML to digital documents the same way as
SQL to database. SQL’s development and implementation had helped database
industry getting rid of the complicated operations, allowed different
companies using SQL to operate data which stored in database. UOML is able
to play the same role to the overwhelming unstructured digital documents. In
order to reach our goal, we need help from all the people, especially Open
Document society, because UOML and ODF can compliment each other.

UOML and ODF are both standards for unstructured digital document, but they
focus on different sectors. ODF describes documents before publish, and UOML
describes published document. ODF is a formatting standard to document
before it published, it deals with single document; UOML is an interface
standard to operate documents database, organize and manage a bunch of
documents. Therefore UOML and ODF can be reciprocal to each other for
unstructured digital document’s interoperability.

Furthermore, UOML can be the solution for people using Microsoft Word and
ODF to exchange documents. For example, using Microsoft Word with the help
of a free UOML writer, user can save the document to an UOML file type. An
OpenOffice.org based word processor, which also support UOML, such as
Redflag’s RedOffice (http://www.ch2000.com.cn/english/index.htm) can fully
access this document, add and comment on it.

We are a huge fan of Open Document Format, and knowing each of you guys is
the true force behind opening standard; we would like to seek your help to
reach our goal. If you have any more questions regarding UOML, please feel
free to send me emails or login to OASIS website UOML TC site:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=uoml or UOML
Alliance website: http://www.uoml.org/.

Thanks for your time, and have a good day. Anyone who like to join our next
phone meeting, please let me know so I can arrange for you.

Best regards,

Allison Shi
International Group
UOML Business Partnership Division