Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] ODF Market Share Analysis

Erwin Tenhumberg wrote:
> Do you agree that we need an ODF market share analysis document?

Do you think this is the best place to spend our resources? I think that
a market share analysis is "nice to have" but has very little real impact.

I think that we should instead move forward the compliance side of
OpenDocument. Of course, this requires coordination with the main TC.
But we want to come to the point where there is an "ODF approved" logo
which people recognize and software manufacturers aim to have. Right now
the best thing is the Applications list on the OD Fellowship website (we
do get requests to have products added to the list) but this list should
be replaced by one that actually involves a compliance test.

Besides compliance, let's talk about what market segments are most
important to target. I suggest that governments and education are good
ones to aim at. In general we have a better chance to convince a
government to support OpenDocument than a private company.

Best,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org