Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] Which ODF are we talking about?

Dear Harm Jan,

ODF is obviously to some degree a competitive play against competing
formats. As a consequence, there have been competitive statements by
employees from Sun, IBM, but also Microsoft. What exactly are your
concerns? What do you suggest?

See my additional comments inline!

> There is a current ODF. A standard greatly dominated by Sun to bash

What makes you think that the format is dominated by Sun beyond the
fact that its orgigins are in OpenOffice.org, a Sun-founded and
Sun-sponsored project?

> Microsoft. The TC is about adoption of the idea of a open document
> format. In my mind this forces us to start working with big industry
> players (including other OASIS members) to achieve a truly open document
> format. To be exact: in my mind any format not supported by the big
> players does not need an adoption TC because it will never be widely
> adopted.

I completely agree with this statement! IBM is already a strong
supporter of ODF in addition to Sun. Novell and Intel are also
increasingly active on the technical side. Companies like Oracle,
Software AG, EDS, etc. are members of the ODF Alliance. Thus,
what makes you think that someone might not want to get the
other big players involved?

I'd love to win the other larger players as well!

> My personal support on behalf of a couple of big tax administrations
> (not only the Netherlands) is in that context only. My government or my
> tax administration is currently not supporting or using the present ODF
> nor does it have the intention to do so in the near future.

What exactly do you mean by the "present ODF"?

> Ps if this TC feels that ODF adoption has to mean: only promoting this
> ODF than -of course- I will not hinder the process of this TC and leave.

What do you mean by supporting "this ODF"? Obviously, an ODF Adoption TC
will focus on promoting ODF, but the goal is to support the "evolving
ODF" with hopefully (!!!) increasing participation by small and large
companies and organizations.

Best regards,
Erwin