Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] OpenDocument White Paper - Ideas/Outline

Let me throw one other topic on the list. "Collaboration within a mixed environment".

In giving a presentation a couple weeks ago, which included a short discussion on ODF, several audience members voiced concerns regarding document file compatibility when working in a mixed collaboration environment (aka ODF and non ODF based file formats).

ODF adoption in the user world is launching some organizations into a heterogeneous document processing environment instead of a homogeneous one. - Which is not a bad thing, but one that some may consider a barrier to adoption, given their current document sharing practices and potential transition pains.

Based on my discussion with this audience, I believe that some of the heterogeneous environment fears could be allayed by better collaboration models, philosophies and best practices. Hence the suggested topic of "Collaboration within a mixed environment".

regards,

Alan Clark

>>> Erwin Tenhumberg <Erwin.Tenhumberg@Sun.COM> 04/12/06 4:10 am >>>
Hello ODF Adoption TC members,

Here are some ideas what could be included in an OpenDocument
white paper. Please let me know what your thoughts are!

Possible White Paper Outline
============================

* ODF History
   - OpenOffice.org format
   - Foundation of OASIS ODF TC
   - OASIS standardization process
   - OASIS ballot/approval
   - ISO submission
   - Roadmap / nest steps

* ODF Benefits
   - List of benefits
   - Positioning against other formats
   - Examples / proof points for benefits

* ODF Adoption
   - ODF Application Support
     > Office productivity applications
     > CMS / DMS
     > Search engines

   - ODF Deployments
     > Key deployment and distribution numbers
     > Key success stories
     > End user quotes / testimonials / endorsements

* ODF Development
   - Available developer documentation
     > Online book by J. David Eisenberg
     > Published articles

   - Available development tools and libraries
     > Java tools by J. David Eisenberg
     > Perl modules by Genicorp

   - ODF Tutorial
     >Use of ODF outside of applications (e.g. via scripting)

* ODF Migration
   - Available migration tools
   - Available migration documentation

* ODF Accessibility
   - Accessibility aspects of ODF
   - Work of ODF Accessibility sub-committee
   - Available accessibility tools and application support

* ODF Resources
   - ODF TC website
   - ODF Adoption TC website
   - ODF Alliance