Subject: RE: [odf-adoption] OpenDocument logo?

Daniel,
Excellent point. I think it would be great to use the OASIS logo "bug"
as the ODF icon.

Is it okay to use the same icon for all ODF file types (text, drawing,
presentation, spreadsheet, chart, image) or do we need to make
variations? (I'm hoping one would suffice, as variations get tricky,
especially for something as small as an icon.)

How about ODF template icons?

I agree about promoting use to existing ODF-compliant providers. Is it
clear when they should use the ODF file type icon versus their own
application icons? (Please forgive the naiveté of my questions, but this
is new ground for me.) Should we supply the icon as part of the ODF
standard document, so new implementers will know to use it?

At http://theingots.org/www-next/content.php?page=resources, you've
linked the file type for "OpenDocument" to http://www.openoffice.org/.
Is this intentional? We need to be clear about the distinction that ODF
is not synonymous with OpenOffice, right?

Carol

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Carrera [mailto:daniel.carrera@zmsl.com]
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 10:17 AM
To: odf-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [odf-adoption] OpenDocument logo?

Hello,

Are we planning to use the OASIS logo as the OpenDocument logo? I know
that Carol liked that idea. I maintain a web page that has OpenDocument
files for download. I just added the OASIS logo:

http://theingots.org/www-next/content.php?page=resources

Is this what we have in mind? Does it look good?

If we want to use the OASIS logo for OpenDocument (and OASIS doesn't
mind) we should try to promote it. If you asked anyone familiar with
OpenDocument what the OpenDocument logo is they'd say "I dunno".

A reasonable first step after deciding the logo is to locate websites
that have OpenDocument downloads and ask them to use the logo. There
aren't many of those yet (OD Fellowship, OD Alliance, OpenOffice, KDE...

I thik I saw some downloads from Linspire and Novell). If people start
using the logo now, it'll be easier to create awareness than if we start
later.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--