Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] Minutes from May 10 Mtg

Martha,

I believe the correct representation of the new XML technology from China is UOML, Unstructured Operation Markup Language), As a recommended action we can suggest that Roger Hurvitz and Nathaniel Borenstein contact Alex Wang at alexwang@sursen.com. Alex is the originator of the technology and is seeking to establish an OASIS TC to work on it.

Don Harbison
Program Director, IBM ODF Initiative
Business & Technical Strategy
IBM Software Group
tel:1-978-399-7018
Mobile: +1-978-761-0116
email: donald_harbison@us.ibm.com

Martha J Mealy <mealym@us.ibm.com>

05/15/2006 12:54 PM

odf-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
[odf-adoption] Minutes from May 10 Mtg

Hello all,
Here are the minutes from the face to face meeting in San Francisco last week.   All comments, additions, edits are welcome.

ODF Adoption TC - May 10 Mtg Minutes

====================================

present:
Don Harbison, IBM, co chair

Erwin Tenhumberg, Sun, co-chair

Peter Lord, Oracle

Nathaniel Borenstein, IBM - ODF technical committee member,

Roger Hurwitz, Intel

Alan Clark, Novell

Martha Mealy, IBM

Scott Mace (sp?) - observer from press working on book on open standards

Carol Geyer - Director of Communications, OASIS

Peter Rhodin and Mary McRae also stopped by

1) Minutes were reviewed and accepted from May 2 meeting

2) UOF XML emerging out of China

OUF is an OpenOffice format merged with OpenXML making it incompatible with either. (Erwin)

How relevant is this to our ODF effort?
ACTION:  Roger Hurvitz and Nathaniel will request an update from Intel and IBM contacts in China

3) Review the subcommittee charter

Does it overlap with the ODF Alliance?

Our audience is more the technical audience with the objective, both technical policy and management as well as developers.   While no need was found at this time to amend the charter officially, we would like the minutes to show that our focus in more on the technical audience.

Several points were made on what we must do to foster and build the visibility of this audience.
a) enable and training them.  Build on the work of J David Eisenberg "ODF Essentials"

b) provide compelling businesses cases and support for implementing ODF (ISV and developer community)

c) encourage the building of development resources for ODF.

Roger brought up the effort of Microsoft to build a developer community around OpenXML

http://openxmldeveloper.org/default.aspx

We too need to provide a clearinghouse of information, AND encourage more activity and community building - offering tooling, widgets, programming interfaces, ideally a DOM to develop against.

Several questions were discussed related to this topic:
** Does our committee have the membership and charter to identify the gap in toolings, etc for the development community and see that it is filled?

There is some work at IBM to help fill this gap and Gary Edwards' plugin to read and write from MS Office to ODF.

** Where do we collect these development resources to match the visibility of OpenXML that Microsoft is out to capture?

 create a forum on xml.org?

create a developers site at Apache.org?  xml.org?  IBM or Sun.com?

It was agreed that it is better that we demonstrate that several vendors are behind this so have it be under the banner of Apache or XML.   We should also use the wikipedia site to list resources

** Is it the work of this subcommittee to CREATE an SDK?  Will we run into the same roadblocks surrounding the creation of conformance testing? Should another subcommittee be generated to support ODF developers?  If we do that, what will be the role of this subcommittee?

It was agreed to that we should first map the gaps in what is needed to foster and support an ODF development community
ACTION: Alan Clark was going to do a comparison of the resources on openxmldeveloper.org and identify the gap in ODF resources.

Other related subcommittee discussion points:

3b) Need more internat'l representation on the subcommittee

ACTION: Peter Rhodin will take on the role of recruiter for us if we want broader representation.

3c) need to reach out to other vertical groups such as ACCOR (Insurance industry) and the work with xForms and ODF in the creation, storage, retrieval, and reuse of documents.
no action assigned

4) Collateral

-------------------------

a) Erwin will submit an abstract to present on ODF at the OASIS Open Standards Days in Germany next fall.    His presentation could be the start of materials we make available on OASIS site to promote the visibility of ODF.  It will be our intent not to infuse ODF materials with product information.  We also need to update the existing OASIS datasheet on ODF and an presentation with short introduction (~6 slides) followed by various sections that could be used depending on the audience.   Need to make sure there is a very clear call to action for each section.  These materials would be made available in an online along with a speakers database.

Action: Erwin to submit proposal to conference

Action: Alan, Peter, Martha agreed to send ODF materials (presentations) to Erwin.

Action: Carol Geyer to send usage guidelines for slides and presentations made available thru OASIS.

b) Proposal to create a link on our Adoption TC website for the request of speakers.  We would handle the requests initially and grow as volume increases.    Could ask people who use the resources and translate for non-English events, that they provide us with the translated version.

c) whitepaper

Create a Wiki for our purposes in contributing to and editing the whitepaper content

Action: Martha to request a Wiki for our group (Done - all should have received a link from Mary McRae)  This Wiki is public to read and only editable by members.

Topics for whitepaper

Break the whitepaper up into 3 pieces:

>>>) Part 1: ODF overview and benefits: concise piece covering the business and technical case for ODF

   What is ODF

   Where did it come from

   Where is it today

   Where is it going - focus on nontraditional thoughts about ODF here taking thinking beyond the desktop and into content management, workflow, search, underlying open standard business processes

Need to collect the various existing writing about ODF:  Wikipedia, Sun's ODF paper, etc

ACTION:  Martha to collect existing resources

Related point:  Wikipedia ODF entry - we need to continue to make sure this entry stays accurate.

ACTION: Don H to make sure the existing ODF entry in Wikipedia is accurate.

>>>) Part 2: Adoption and Implementation of, Migration to ODF

>>>) Part 3:  Developers' Guide

  How do I implement ODF in applications

  How do I innovate with ODF

Need to create these rather quickly given the short window before Vista hits the market and the aggressive activities of MS to build OpenXML developer community.

Initial focus will be on the first paper.   Need to make sure we get input from organizations with experience implementing ODF.
ACTION: While Martha collects and summarizes history, Erwin works on the benefits working with input from Gary Edwards given his recent work on the plug-in MS-ODF converter.

5) Media Relations Plan / Calendar

Carol Geyer: can only issue press releases on our committee's progress.
If we want to do joint releases with ODF Alliance as an example, we need to drive this from our organizations and keep Carol in the loop.   We can use events for timing major announcements, such as timing a ODF announcement with the OpenOffice.org symposium.   Consider announcement around accessibility with statements from Royal Society for the Blind.

Mtg adjourned at 4:45pm

Martha J. Mealy
Strategic Marketing for Lotus Software - Industrial Sector
IBM Software Group
mealym@us.ibm.com
office phone: (503) 342-5519
mobile phone: (503) 720-7963