Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] OASIS ODF Datasheet - Please review!

> OpenDocument does not
> increase file size or compromise (Comment: This paragraph seems
unnecessary. Suggest it be deleted)
> Users don’t have to pay for the
> benefits of XML with higher disk space.

I suggest we keep this in as it is one of the points certain people are
using to criticise the format .....

Regards,

Alan Milnes
IT Architect
Security, Asset & Risk Management - New Business
IBM United Kingdom Ltd.

Tel: (+44) [0] 7764-660 709 (Mobex: 272952)
Internet: milnea@uk.ibm.com

             donald_harbison@u
             s.ibm.com
             16/05/2006 15:00          Erwin Tenhumberg
                                       <Erwin.Tenhumberg@Sun.COM>
                                                                        cc
                                       odf-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [odf-adoption] OASIS ODF
                                       Datasheet - Please review!

Erwin,

Some comments and suggested edits in <  > below.

Open, Vendor-Neutral, Standardized Format for Document Data Office
Applications (Comment: this suggested edit is intended to draw attention to
the opportunity to develop new non-traditional applications and solutions
that leverage the document data as expressed in XML)

For the first time in the 25-year
history of office applications, an
open document format has been
developed and approved by a
vendor-independent standards
body. The Open Document
Format for Office Applications
(OpenDocument) OASIS
Standard <separates the document data from the authoring application >.
and offers Users <are now free to choose the application that best meets
their needs. and
providers true freedom-of-choice
with a ODF is a royalty-free, XML-based
file format for text, spreadsheets,
presentations, formulas, <<Comment: in ODF V2.0>>and business
charts.

OpenDocument frees users from
product lock-in (or lock-out).
Because it’s an open, XML-based
standard <that is supported by many applications, from many vendors,>
OpenDocument
provides  ensures  long-term preservation
of  <document > data.  <This which means users can
access their information now, and
decades from now, regardless of
which product they used to create
it.

OpenDocument is easy to use. (Comment: as written this paragraph does not
realistically confront the challenge of application migration away from
MS-Office. With the impending availability of plugins and conversion
services, I suggest these edits)
<With new ODF Plugins,> users will
reap the benefits of an
open file format without having
to change their current habits
and without requiring additional
training.< For the first time, users
of different versions of MS-Office
will be able to interoperate by standardizing
on ODF with new plugin and conversion
services offerings.>

OpenDocument is an extensible
open standard,
Companies are encouraged to join
OASIS to standardize features not
currently in OpenDocument <and to participate in the stewardship of the
standard.>

OpenDocument does not
increase file size or compromise (Comment: This paragraph seems
unnecessary. Suggest it be deleted)
Users don’t have to pay for the
benefits of XML with higher disk space.

OpenDocument is
interoperable.
It makes use of existing standards
such as HTML, SVG, XSL, SMIL,
XLink, XForms, MathML, and
the Dublin Core, wherever
possible. OpenDocument <XML> does
not differ between document
types like text, <graphics>, or spreadsheets
unless required. This simplifies the
development of tools and also
reduces costs.

“OpenDocument
represents an opportunity
to ensure truly open
file formats for
productivity applications,
which is why it will receive
the enthusiastic support
of public sector
steering organizations
on a global basis.”
James Governor,
Principal Analyst, RedMonk

OpenDocument can serve as the
default file format. (Comment: Suggest delete this paragraph)
Users don’t have to decide
between a binary or XML format,
so they can’t make the
wrong choice.

OpenDocument was developed
under the OASIS open process.
Offered on a royalty-free basis,
OpenDocument is the result product of <a>
publicly visible, community-driven
concensus. The OASIS Standard is
not controlled by any single
vendor or tied to any
one product.

OpenDocument is accepted.
In addition to being ratified as an
OASIS Standard, OpenDocument
has been endorsed by the
European Commission.
Singapore’s Ministry of Defense,
France’s Ministry of Finance and
its Ministry of Economy, Finance
and Industry, Brazil’s Ministry of
Health, the City of Munich,
Germany, UK’s Bristol City
Council, and the City of Vienna
in Austria are all adopting
applications that support
OpenDocument. Open source
initiatives, such as
OpenOffice.org, use
OpenDocument as their default
and native file format.

Get Involved
OASIS OpenDocument Technical
Committee members include
representatives of:
        Adobe Systems;
        IBM;
        Sun Microsystems
      <Novell>
      <Intel>;
and other providers and users of
office applications. Participation
remains open to all organizations
and individuals.

Don Harbison
Program Director, IBM ODF Initiative
Business & Technical Strategy
IBM Software Group
tel:1-978-399-7018
Mobile: +1-978-761-0116
email: donald_harbison@us.ibm.com

 Erwin Tenhumberg
 <Erwin.Tenhumberg@Sun.COM>

 05/16/2006 08:53 AM                            odf-adoption@lists.oasis-o
                                                pen.org
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                                [odf-adoption] OASIS ODF
                                                Datasheet - Please review!

Dear TC members,

As you might have seen in Martha Mealy's notes from the face-to-face
meeting, OASIS asked us to review the ODF datasheet that they created
a while ago. The document can be found here:

http://www.oasis-open.org/who/data_sheets/OASIS-opendocument-datasht-a4-05-06-20.pdf

Please send me your comments! I will collect and consolidate your
feedback and work together with Carol to create a new revised
version of the datasheet.

Thanks,
Erwin