Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] Promote ODF in Email Signatures

In the meantime, a solution might be to point to the Wikipedia OpenDocument format.   Something like this:
Please avoid sending me any data attachments that are in a proprietary format.
See Wikipedia's OpenDocument entry for more information and a list of applications using the OpenDocument standard (ISO 23600)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Martha J. Mealy
Strategic Marketing for Lotus Software - Industrial Sector
IBM Software Group
mealym@us.ibm.com
office phone: (503) 342-5519
mobile phone: (503) 720-7963
office: Portland, Oregon

Carol wrote:

I just received a message from a person who included this statement in her email
signature:

_

I would *love* to use something similar, if we could provide a link to a page
that was pro-OpenDocument and not an obvious slam at Word or commercial
software. It could just be a few educational paragraphs. We might include some
links to all the options for ODF-compliant software, to make it clear that ODF
is *not* synonymous with OpenOffice. If we use product links, we'd have to
include a disclaimer, "OASIS does not endorse or certify compliance of any of
the above products...links are provided for informational purposes
only...readers are encouraged to evaluate all products independently..."

Would it be worth the Committee's time to craft a few paragraphs along these
lines? We could publish them on XML.org on behalf of the TC, and encourage
everyone to incorporate them into their email signatures.

Carol

Carol Geyer
Director of Communications
OASIS
Voice: +1.978.667.5115 x209

OASIS Symposium: The Meaning of Interoperability, 9-12 May, San Francisco
http://www.oasis-open.org/events/symposium_2006/