Subject: [odf-adoption] ODF Adoption TC Call - November 28th 2006 - Minutes -CORRECTED

Roll Call
=========

Charles Schulz,         Ars Aperta
J Eisenberg,            The OpenDocument Foundation, Inc.
Rob Weir,               IBM
Martha Mealy,           IBM
Alan Milnes,            IBM
Don Harbison,           IBM
Alan Clark,             Novell

Minutes
=======

As were not quorate (at the beginning of the meeting) no minutes were
approved.

Update on Deliverables
======================

Don had posted the ODF Overview & Introduction presentation to the
opendocument.xml.org website.

The final changes to the French version had been made and we were awaiting
Erwin's acceptance.

Louis had taken an action to do the first outline of the paper for Upgrade
/ Novática. Charles provided some background to the target audience.

Round Table
============

Charles raised the points made in the
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2063958,00.asp where the capabilities
for search were not consistent across file formats. Charles would contact
the author for more details.

Charles would also circulate a link to the wiki discussing the work being
done by OpenOffice.org on Vista compatibility.

Don raised the question of whether or not we should have an article about
what Vista means for ODF on our website.

Charles updated the group regarding the decision of The Assemblée Nationale
to choose Linux, OpenOffice.org and OpenDocument on its desktops.

Don updated the group on progress in Massachusetts - they are on track to
move to implementation mode, initially in pilot mode then moving towards an
aim of converting 40-45,000 desktops. A new Governor has been elected and a
Technology Transition team has been created.

There was some discussion round the question of whether or not OASIS would
adopt ODF as it's standard document format.

Alan Clark updated the committee on some of the actions Novell were taking
to address the communities concerns regarding their recent agreement with
Microsoft, most of these were focussed on Linux rather than ODF.

Rob updated the committee on the work on the ODF 1.2 specification and the
translations between ODF, UDF and UOF.

Alan Milnes raised the network effects of new versions of Microsoft Office
and how this can force companies to upgrade. It was suggested that an
article or blog should be written about this.

Charles raised a recent decision in France where Microsoft Office would be
installed but the decision had also been taken to install OpenOffice as
well.

Don had been talking to Intel about having a representative on the
committee.

Alan Clark raised the issue of the differences between interoperability and
compatibility. Don mentioned that there was no ODF reference implementation
and no committee owned this action. It was felt that this issue was
important and we should have a regular agenda item covering it.

The meeting was adjourned at this stage.

Regards,

Alan Milnes
IT Architect
Outsourcing Infrastructure Solutions
Service Delivery Operations
IT Delivery Operations (UK, Ireland and South Africa)
IBM Global Technology Services, EMEA

Tel: (+44) [0] 7764-660 709 (Mobex: 272952)
Internet: milnea@uk.ibm.com