Subject: RE: [odf-adoption] 'Open by Design (redux)' for Novatica and Upgrade Publication

Hi everyone,

  I can also chime in here, but feel free to disregard my comments :-)
Programming Microsoft Office no longer requires VBA although it can still be
used with Office 2003. Instead the preferred method of choice is Visual Studio
Tools for Microsoft Office (now in it's 2nd edition) which allows for a rich
object-oriented development environment in both Visual Basic and C (I forget
which flavor of C). A full set of XML classes are provided that allow
interaction with a custom schema and any user-initiated event can be trapped and
programmed against. VSTO 2005 allows you to actually open up the specific
desktop application within the development environment and program directly
against it. It may be proprietary, but it's really very easy to use.

  I'm certainly not suggesting that you tout the Microsoft development
environment, but saying that it's limited to VBA is completely inaccurate.

Regards,

Mary