Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] Fast Track approval anyway

Since I posted here, others with more experience in the ISO process
have advised that it will take longer than 5 months for Ecma 376 to
reach final ballot, more like a minimum 13 months. Also, it appears
that the Directives rule change I mentioned has not yet been formally
adopted and that the JTC1 Secretariat is anticipating their adoption
at a meeting in March by allowing Ecma 376 to proceed on the fast
track. A red line of the old directives and their proposed revisions
is here. <http://isotc.iso.org/livelink/livelink/6202637/JTC001-N-8521.pdf?func=doc.Fetch&nodeid=6202637>.

Meanwhile, the backlash seems to be mounting. Three federal agencies,
the Department of Transportation, the FAA, and NIST have reportedly
banned upgrades to variously, Vista, MSIE 7, and Office 2007. DOT,
<http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=CPID0SY4ST0CIQSNDLRCKHSCJUNN2JVN?articleID=197700789>;
NIST (Dept. of Commerce),
<http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=198000229>;
FAA.
<http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197800480>.
 Migrations to Linux and Google Apps are mentioned as being studied by
the FAA, with specific mention of FAA consultation with Dell about
providing computers pre-loaded with Linux. (Google Apps provide
OpenDocument support.) The FAA article concludes:

"Because of Google Apps' sudden entry into the desktop productivity
market, what once would have been a routine decision at the FAA to
eventually upgrade to Microsoft's latest software is now firmly up in
the air. With similar debates doubtless playing out at other
government agencies -- and in the private sector -- Microsoft is going
to have to work a lot harder than in past years convincing customers
to follow its well worn path of new releases and follow-on patches."

And Europe's IDABC summarized a just-concluded conference of
government IT types from 21 member nations as follows:

"In particular we take note of the overwhelming view from Member
States on the detrimental effect that more than [one] standard in one
area would have, significantly increasing confusion, complexity and
cost."

<http://www.openforumeurope.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=937&Itemid=1

So I'd say offhand that the File Format War is far from over. :-)

Best regards,

Marbux