Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] ODF Adoption TC Call - 22 May 2007 - Minutes

Thomas,

I agree with you, although that means I am reversing my view as expressed on today's ODF Adoption TC call. (btw, is it possible for you to join us?). One of the challenges we have is the requirement to expand participation at OASIS for ODF Adoption. We welcome your energy and experience.

best regards,

/don

Don Harbison
Program Director, IBM ODF Initiative
Business & Technical Strategy
IBM Software Group
tel:1-978-399-7018
Mobile: +1-978-761-0116
email: donald_harbison@us.ibm.com

Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org>

05/22/2007 12:30 PM

odf-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
Re: [odf-adoption] ODF Adoption TC Call - 22 May 2007 - Minutes

On Tuesday 22 May 2007 17:59:11 Erwin Tenhumberg wrote:
> Updating / re-designing opendocument.xml.org
> opendocument.xml.org currently looks poor, i.e. is outdated.
> We should put opendocument.xml.org on our calendars to frequently add
> news.
>
> Erwin is in contact with Carol regarding a blog aggregation / planet.

There is one (i'm maintaining it)

http://valdyas.org/freeOffice/

> The attendees of today's call agreed that we should remove / deactivate
> the forums on opendocument.xml.org for now.

Hmm, you sure about that?

That seems to be an unwise decision since that means all content must come
from 'us'.

I'd rather see it turned around so that a lot of the stuff that is there,
like the descriptions of apps, get removed since there is nobody to keep
them uptodate.   Lets not fool ourselves; its been unmaintained for a
year now, there has to be a really good reason to see that change.
Renewing our interrest won't do that.
Short of hiring 5 people to put content up and maintain it, I don't see
any way to do that.
The traditional way to keep content is to turn it into a site where the
community provides content.  And you NEED the forums to do that.

If I'm missing the deeper points, please give us a whitepaper or plan for
the site so we can think along.

Cheers!
--
Thomas Zander