Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] Follow up from OOo Conference

Dee,

Sorry, this got buried in the sludge of spam that's my inbox.

Comments inline.

On 2007-05-10, at 19:01 , Dee Schur wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks Louis!
>
> *I suppose before you spend a lot of time pursuing these options
> with OOo
> Con we should get a reading on the number of people interested in each
> activity:
> 1.	ODF Workshop
> 2.	OASIS ODF InterOp

Yes.

I need to work with you here.  The OOoCon people, cc'd here (Jordi
Mas, Jesús Corrius, John McCreesh, OOo's Marketing Lead), have
agreed, more or less, to the proposed schedule of a workshop on day 1
(19 Sept.) and the Interop or presentation half day on day 3, 21
Sept.  The most important day is day 1, the workshop.

We have also agreed on having panels on ODF throughout the
conference; the workshop would just be a special and specially
intense day of work.

I have also added Dieter Loeschky of Sun, who expressed strong
interest in the workshop when it was first mentioned.

> *Another option is an ODF webinar. The WS-BPEL webinar was a huge
> success.

that's possible but not sure how it would work. I think it may be
reasonable to assume that as all the panels will be recorded, we'll
have opportunity for webinars galore.

Okay, Dee and others.

Here is how we need to work together.

1. OASIS has to contact Jesus and Jordi, cc'ing me, about its
interest in helping fund or put on the ODF Workshop and OASIS ODF
Interop. If no funding, fine; but we need to be clear there.

2. OASIS has to work with me in contacting wold-be participants.  I
can contact some of them, but I'm focused on OOoCon itself.  The
members of this list can surely help here, as they include the
stakeholders.

But I'd like to see:

* IBM, Novell, Sun, Oracle, KOffice, AbiWord, Corel, Google, Redflag,
etc. Basically all those implementing ODF.  I need help in brining
them to this table.

If you (whoever you are) can help, please coordinate by cc'ing this
list and me, Jordi, Jesus, John. We can also use an OOo list, but as
this is fairly specific to ODF, I'd rather have one created on OASIS.
.
The workshop will be for developers and should really be designed and
structure with the expectation of producing results. :-)

** Establishing the rules of the game. As I see it, the objective is
to normalize results. (I'm avoiding all mention of "compliance" etc,
though they are inevitable and will be used, I hope, in the
workshop).  But users should be able to expect that when they create
a file with one implementation and open it with another, they will
see and be able to edit more or less the same document.

I'd like to propose then a short committee to sketch out the
parameters.  Perhaps one composed of Dieter and Rob, for starters?
The obvious idea is just to draw up realistic expectations of what
can be done and how.

And I'd like to see if we can set a timetable for this.  Perhaps the
first deadline would be for drafting the objectives; the second for
sending out invitations.  For the first, then, I'd like to propose 8
June, if that is not too soon.

Thanks!

Best
Louis