Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] RE: need confirmation on ODF Camp

Would it be worth focusing on a single application time for this first interoperability event?  Say, just word processors?  I think it would be difficult to ensure that we have enough people with sufficient expertise in all three applications from all vendors, and even if we could, any topic would be interesting to only 1/3 of the engineers.

So, if we focused on just ODF word processors, we could invite:

1) OpenOffice on Linux, Mac and Windows (we would want to consider cross platform fidelity issues even with a single application, and OO is a good example for this)
2) IBM
3) KDE
4) Google Docs
5) AbiWord
6) CleverAge (for the Word Plugin) or maybe Novell handles this?
7) ZohoWriter?
8) Anyone else?

-Rob
___________________________

Rob Weir
Software Architect
IBM Software Group

email: robert_weir@us.ibm.com
phone: 1-978-399-7122
blog: http://www.robweir.com/blog/

Louis Suarez-Potts <luispo@mac.com>

06/01/2007 04:58 AM

Dee Schur <dee.schur@oasis-open.org>
cc
Dieter.Loeschky@Sun.COM, odf-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org, "'John McCreesh'" <jpmcc@openoffice.org>, "'Jane Harnad'" <jane.harnad@oasis-open.org>, pim.vandereijk@oasis-open.org
Subject
Re: [odf-adoption] RE: need confirmation on ODF Camp

Hi,

On 2007-05-30, at 16:16 , Dee Schur wrote:

> Hi Louis and Dieter,
> I think these are both great ideas but slightly different, which is
> good.

:-)

> Louis,
> I think your camp concept is terrific

(not mine; Don came up with the idea, but it is good)

> and can easily be coordinated through
> the Adoption TC with you as a lead.

I'd rather have Dieter lead the camp; Dieter and Rob, say, as the
camp must be technical and I'm not technically competent enough to
pose as lead, let alone lead.

> Since there will be no presentations, it
> seems to me that as long as you secure the space, you will be set.
> OASIS can
> promote the 'ODF Camp' in the same manner we always do (posting to
> event
> page, OASIS News, etc.) So, as soon as you have a written description
> inviting participants, we can move forward with various postings.

Great, let's start inviting :-)

Dieter, Rob (if you are here...):

Let's coordinate on inviting candidates.  We can coordinate off this
list but why? I'd like to invite essentially all those implementing
ODF or wanting to.  I don't have contacts in all these companies.

But I think we have to finalize the invitations by, say, end of next
week?

> Dieter,
> I think your concept will take longer to execute properly, so we
> might think
> about late in 2007 or 2008. During the last Adoption call we tossed
> around
> the idea of a stand alone ODF event (one or two days), that can either
> co-locate with another conference or act as a stand alone that could
> possibly be hosted at a member facility in various locations. Once
> you put
> this type of effort together it is easy to duplicate in different
> locations.
> I would like each member to consider hosting such an event and/or
> suggest an
> event/conference that would an appropriate venue for 'ODF Day(s).'
> I think
> an Asian venue would be interesting, any thoughts? I would like to
> see how
> much interest we have for this before we commit a lot of cycles. I
> think it
> is a great idea, and ODF is gaining tremendous speed but I will
> need the
> support of the Adoption TC.

Dee, I think I resolved Dieter's points, and I think Dieter was
thinking of presentations in the context of OOoCon. Last year and
year before and year before that we had tracks on ODF; this year will
likely be no different. So, we can have ODF presentations throughout
the conference, without OASIS' specific intervention, though your
support would always be helpful.

best,
Louis