Subject: RE: [odf-adoption] Restricting rights on opendocument.xml.org

We've been using captcha since the site was launched. (See
http://opendocument.xml.org/user/register.) I think the spam we're seeing is
actually being posted by humans.

From what I understand, there's a spam module for Drupal 5.1 that will detect
people who try to add more than x number of posts in x minutes, and
automatically block them. It will also detect posts with more than x URLs and
block those. We'll have to experiment with the best way to configure all that,
but I'm sure it will be an improvement.

==c

-----Original Message-----
From: marbux [mailto:marbux@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2007 11:20 AM
To: Carol Geyer
Cc: odf-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org

On 6/25/07, Carol Geyer <carol.geyer@oasis-open.org> wrote:

	I agree, we should add a new class of user with blog privileges. This
will not
	only cut spam, it will help us be sure people are using Blogs for real
blogs
	and not for questions (that should be posted to the Forums), news
(which should
	be posted at News), or other non-blog posts.

	How should we moderate who is granted Blogger privileges? Do we a)
grant it to
	anyone who requests it, and revoke it if abused or b) let the Committee
review
	and approve applicants?  I vote for (a).

(a) is what Wikipedia is doing now, and from what I am hearing has cut back
their spam problems enough to be manageable.

Drupal has a captcha feature for registrations. That requires a human being to
read and type a segment of text presented as a graphic or to answer a simple
math problem so that spam bots can't register.
It's a separate module that has to be installed. See
<http://drupal.org/project/captcha>.