Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] ODF Adoption TC Call - 17 July 2007 - Agenda

I think I missed the start of this thread, but here's my thoughts:

We need what I call atomic, single feature tests, that drill down and in an easy-to-interpret way give a pass/fail indication of how any application deals with a particular part of the standard.  And we need 1,000's of these.  This is just good basic testing, akin to a unit test.

And we also need something more like a system test, where we attempt real-world scenarios that have greater complexity and use a number of features in typical patterns of use.

I don't think we can avoid doing it both ways.  The atomic tests alone will not find all problems, since some application problems will only show themselves via interactions with other features.  But the atomic tests can give us very broad and detailed test coverage, and that is important as well.

When I was proposing subjects for the interoperability workshop I was thinking of focusing more on trying to uncover and resolve problems by using some complex, real-world test cases.  But I'm certainly open to having a portion of the event be dedicated to discussion of the atomic tests.

What do you think?

-Rob

Rob Weir
Software Architect