Subject: standardizing odf icons?

I've been in communication with a friend interested in standardizing
the icons for ODF files. It's also something, I believe, the ODF
Fellowship is interested in.  I'm not sure how logistically feasible
this would be and have my doubts about its general desirability.
Applications (or rather their makers) tend to determine the icon set
used, and in FOSS, that means just about any distributor/implementor
can do what it wants, including ignoring what others want, unless
there are legal constraints.

However, there may be a reasonable compromise: a default set that may
be used. It would probably have to be trademarked, but by whom?
Oasis, I'd imagine.  And who would police it? More generally, would
it even be considered worth it?  The point of this is marketing: to
build brand awareness, and given the touted intra-implementation
interoperability of the format, I can see that advantage. But then,
we should be focusing not on simply creating icons for the format but
encouraging (and trademarking a logo) for implementations to use that
brands them as implementing ODF.

best
louis