Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] standardizing odf icons?

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 22:25:30 Louis Suarez-Potts wrote:
> I've been in communication with a friend interested in standardizing
> the icons for ODF files. It's also something, I believe, the ODF
> Fellowship is interested in.  I'm not sure how logistically feasible
> this would be and have my doubts about its general desirability.
> Applications (or rather their makers) tend to determine the icon set
> used, and in FOSS, that means just about any distributor/implementor
> can do what it wants, including ignoring what others want, unless
> there are legal constraints.
>
> However, there may be a reasonable compromise: a default set that may
> be used. It would probably have to be trademarked, but by whom?
> Oasis, I'd imagine.  And who would police it? More generally, would
> it even be considered worth it?  The point of this is marketing: to
> build brand awareness, and given the touted intra-implementation
> interoperability of the format, I can see that advantage. But then,
> we should be focusing not on simply creating icons for the format but
> encouraging (and trademarking a logo) for implementations to use that
> brands them as implementing ODF.

There was a similar attempt at the OpenDocumentFellowship about a year ago
and they did make an icon set and they still claim it to be the one to
use, but alas no implementation is using it.

I don't have any reason to believe any new attempt will have a different
effect.
--
Thomas Zander

PGP signature