Subject: RE: [odf-adoption] standardizing odf icons?

We have OASIS OpenDocument logo gear available from
http://www.cafepress.com/oasis_open/622258. (Rob, don't tell me you don't have
an OpenDocument teddy bear!)

I like the concept Erwin presented very much, but when viewing the icon as a
browser tab, <ODF> is too small to read (at least on my laptop).

--carol

-----Original Message-----
From: robert_weir@us.ibm.com [mailto:robert_weir@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 9:43 AM
To: odf-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org

I think that is a good approach.  Have some thematic commonality, but each
vendor adapts the theme to local circumstances.  But it may also be useful to
have an icon that represents "ODF" the standard, for use on coffee mugs,
conference brochures, etc.

-Rob

___________________________

Rob Weir
Software Architect
IBM Software Group

email: robert_weir@us.ibm.com
phone: 1-978-399-7122
blog: http://www.robweir.com/blog/

Erwin Tenhumberg <Erwin.Tenhumberg@Sun.COM>
Sent by: Erwin.Tenhumberg@Sun.COM

08/06/2007 04:59 AM To
Louis Suarez-Potts <Louis.Suarez-Potts@Sun.COM>
cc
odf-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
Re: [odf-adoption] standardizing odf icons?

Hi Louis,

Thanks for bringing the topic to our attention again!

Yes, I also believe that it would be useful to have an ODF icon
that could be recognized across platforms and applications.
An example for an ODF icon can be found here:

   http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/resource/ODF_glassy_100-n.png

Since many OpenOffice.org/KOffice/etc. users still don't know
very much about file formats in general and ODF in particular,
it also would be necessary to have the different applications
mark/brand the ODF icon in a way that users can find their
OpenOffice.org/KOffice/etc. files. An example of a branded
ODF icon, i.e. OpenOffice.org, can be found here:

   http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/resource/ODF_glassy_100.png

Obviously, KOffice would not use the OpenOffice.org gulls in
the icon. Thus, KOffice would use a version of the icon that
showed the KDE-typical gear wheel plus the "K" instead of the
gulls.

Thus, all ODF files would have a similar look and feel, i.e.
the same ODF branding element, across platforms and applications,
but at the same time users still would be able to associate
their document files with the right application.

Thoughts?

Best regards,
Erwin