Subject: RE: [odf-adoption] standardizing odf icons?

"Carol Geyer" <carol.geyer@oasis-open.org> wrote on 08/06/2007 10:30:44 AM:

> We have OASIS OpenDocument logo gear available from
> http://www.cafepress.com/oasis_open/622258. (Rob, don't tell me you don't have
> an OpenDocument teddy bear!)
>
> I like the concept Erwin presented very much, but when viewing the icon as a
> browser tab, <ODF> is too small to read (at least on my laptop).

No teddy bear, but I might get a coffee mug.  It seems that we have at least three different ODF logo's swimming around: the OASIS-branded text logo, the ODF logo that the ODF Fellowship created (http://www.cafepress.com/opendocument) and this new logo by Red Hat.

Maybe one icon for all uses doesn't make sense.  But surely three totally inconsistant logos isn't helpful.

One approach is to have a simple device that is incorporated into various other projects.

For example, look at what Apache does with their "feather" logo.

You see the base form here:  http://www.apache.org/

Variation in the web server:  http://httpd.apache.org/

More subtle, in the background of their Apache Labs header:  http://labs.apache.org/

Encorporated as an element in their conference announcement: http://www.us.apachecon.com/

Blended into the TCL logo:  http://tcl.apache.org/

Also part of their Gump logo:  http://gump.apache.org/

In ODF terms, this "device" could be a thing, like a feather, etc.  Or it could be a distinctive color or color combination or color gradient with a distinctive typeface.

-Rob