Subject: RE: [odf-adoption] XML 2007

Reminder – we might have lost our spot.

Dee

Dee Schur
OASIS Member Support
www.oasis-open.org
dee.schur@oasis-open.org

From: Dee Schur [mailto:dee.schur@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 12:56 PM
To: 'robert_weir@us.ibm.com'; 'odf-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org'

I’d like to submit the abstract today?

Dee Schur
OASIS Member Support
www.oasis-open.org
dee.schur@oasis-open.org

From: robert_weir@us.ibm.com [mailto:robert_weir@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 9:59 AM
To: odf-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org

> If we talking "demo" here, don't forget the case of MS Office + plug-in ...
> may be important for market share, but also as an eye-opener to a
> larger audience outside the open source/open standards arena:

That's a good point.  Using the Sun Plugin would give a simply way to include interop with MS Office.

We could also take the document and gmail it to someone and show it in Google Docs.

I'd like to fit in more intelligent processing of documents.  I think that is the real advantage of open standards like ODF.  In the old world, documents were opaque and could only be processed easily on Windows clients that had Office installed.  With ODF,anyone with zip code an an XML parser can read/write/modify ODF.  That is were things get interesting.  Jean-Marie suggested business intelligence apps like BIRT or Jasper.  I have not used either of these.  Do they support ODF today?

-Rob

Rob Weir
Software Architect
IBM Software Group