Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] Recap of ODF Camp for OASIS News

On 10/9/07, Louis Suarez-Potts <Louis.Suarez-Potts@sun.com> wrote:
> Was it the documents that were being tested for interoperability or
> the applications? eg, Interoperability among ODF applications...

It where 4 .odt documents that where tested for interop with 7 applications.

We focussed mainly on document 1 (a side-by-side Dutch/French language
Belgian legal text) and how it would be generated by the different applications
and then read by the different (other) applications (so, really 7x6
combinations).

An extra complexity that became apparent is that we also found widely
varying ways the people would "design" the document lay-out. So it is
really Nx7x6  (in the sense that people can use N ways to design the
lay-out with a single application). I don't know how exactly how large
N is, but I had the impression, I at least saw 4 different ways of
conceptually designing the side-by-side text:
* as a table with each paragraph a different cell (that's how it is also
  done by the actual Belgian administrations)
* as a table with large cells left and right, that hold more than 1 paragraph
  per side
* as 2 column document
* "theoretically" as a set of multi-language representations of the same content

Peter