Subject: RE: [odf-adoption] Re: [odf-camp] Re: ODF Interoperability Camp Follow-up

Good question.   My understanding is that official OASIS Interop Demo's, per policy, require OASIS membership to participate, with the exception of "Scenario Partners" which are typically government or non-profit participants. so I think when we do something like that we would just do the planning in the Adoption TC using the existing mailing list.

As you know, the workshop we had in Barcelona was not in the form of an official OASIS Interop Demo, and I think we've struggled before to categorize it.

What we did in Barcelona involved ODF implementors, both OASIS members and non-members.  It also involved the participation of one government adopter of ODF. We also had one OASIS staff, and one OASIS Director in attendance.  The event was mainly participatory/discussion oriented rather than demo oriented.  In other words, there were few passive observers.

If I had to call it anything I'd call it a "plug fest" or "bake-off".  If you have access to the ACM digital library, this is a good overview:  http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=338183.338184

In essence, what we are doing is trying to improve adoption of ODF by helping bring together vendors that support ODF in discussions and workshops where they can compare notes, share test cases, and improve interoperability.

Is there a better way to organize this?  I suppose doing it entirely within the Adoption TC, with only OASIS members.  But I know that there was some concern that this would shut out some of the smaller, open source implementors of ODF.

-Rob
___________________________

Rob Weir
Software Architect
IBM Software Group

email: robert_weir@us.ibm.com
phone: 1-978-399-7122
blog:
http://www.robweir.com/blog/

"Carol Geyer" <carol.geyer@oasis-open.org>

11/01/2007 11:53 AM

<robert_weir@us.ibm.com>, <odf-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
RE: [odf-adoption] Re: [odf-camp] Re: ODF Interoperability Camp Follow-up

Is the goal to discuss implementation issues with the entire community or to
plan a specific Interoperability demonstration event (or series of events) with
a group of participants?