Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] Re: [odf-camp] Re: ODF Interoperability Camp Follow-up

Thomas,

What if we had something like this:

1) Interoperability coordination happens within OASIS and OASIS membership is required to participate
2) Vendors pay their own way to become OASIS members.  Standards development need to be funded somehow for the member services they provide.
3) Individuals and representatives from smaller FOSS projects could join either as individual members ($300) or could be given a fee-waived membership grant.   We did this, as you know, in the ODF TC and the Accessibility TC.

So, I think that doing this within OASIS would not require that we leave anyone out.  We can accommodate everyone, if we wanted.  There are also important benefits of this approach since all participants would be required to agree to the OASIS IP rules, which is an important consideration.

As for the Fellowship, one possibility is that, if we do have a formal ODF interoperability effort in OASIS, is that we form a TC-level liaison according to the defined policy (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/liaison_policy.php#tcliaison ) and that coordination could occur at that level.   I don't think that everything that needs to be done can be done entirely in the Fellowship, since ultimately one of our approaches may be formal ODF profiles or similar documents which would really need to be done in a standards organization.  But we should certainly make sure we're make best use of our respective organizational strengths.  The Fellowship, for example, can get things done without months of debate ;-)

-Rob