Subject: "We support ODF" logo

ODF Adoption Committee:
Thanks to Erwin for continuing to raise the issue of standardizing on an ODF
logo that organizations and individuals can freely use to show their support.

I think we're all in agreement that the logo should be:
- distinctive and recognizable
- owned by OASIS (not under the control of any single company)
- freely available for anyone to use (in accordance with our logo usage
guidelines)
- used to designate support for ODF, not compliance or certification
- promoted--singularly, globally, and heavily--as a way of demonstrating and
building solidarity in the ODF community

Looking at all the ODF logo options, the bird design from Red Hat seems to be
the most graphically interesting. It's a mark people already recognize and
relate to.

I'm happy to report that Red Hat has graciously agreed to donate this design to
OASIS. Thanks so much to Tom Rabon of Red Hat for making this happen.

Our plan now is to integrate the OASIS logo bug in the design to the left of
'ODF', in order to stress the fact that ODF is developed through an open
process. (The OASIS logo bug is that square design that follows the word
'OASIS' in our corporate logo--not the word 'OASIS' itself.) We may also
integrate words such as "We support" to ensure the logo doesn't imply
compliance or certification.

If anyone on the Committee would like to work with me on this project (or if
you can volunteer the services of a professional graphic designer), please let
me know.

Thanks,
Carol

Carol Geyer