Subject: ODF logo--OASIS feedback

ODF Adoption Committee:

The OASIS webmaster mocked up the attached ODF logo designs independent of
Erwin's latest concepts and J. David Eisenberg's offer of a student project.
They are not meant to be final designs by any means--just a first pass at
adding the OASIS logo and colors to the bird.

After reviewing Erwin's latest suggestions, we still believe the bird will
resonant more strongly with the wide range of people who are adopting the
standard. "Liberate Your Documents" is more effective at conveying the message
of what ODF does than the simple bug icon alone. The bird is a great *campaign*
logo and is much better suited to rallying support via t-shirts, buttons, etc.

Nevertheless, there will be applications where the entire bird/logo/tagline
will be too large, e.g., icons, browser tags, etc. Erwin's latest ideas
(especially
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26772/ODF_220-05.png) provide
a nice, simple design that would work better when space is limited and the
target audience is already onboard and mobilized.

As a way forward, I think we should work to integrate the designs by starting
with one of the attached bird concepts (in OASIS purple/gold) and:
- replacing the traditional OASIS bug with the "folded corner" version from
Erwin's design
- substituting the "ODF" font with the font from Erwin's design

I'm not sure if the angle brackets surrounding "ODF" in Erwin's design are
necessary. If we eliminate those, then I think the full bird/logo/tagline logo
and the abbreviated icon logo would reflect the same elements and provide us
with both brand recognition and application flexibility.

Can we reserve time on the next Committee call to discuss this?

Carol

Carol Geyer
Director of Communications
OASIS