Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] Test suite work

"Charles-H. Schulz" <charles-h.schulz@arsaperta.com> wrote on 04/30/2008 04:54:50 AM:

> +1 fro my side. My gut feeling is to go for a subcommittee of the ODF
> TC. I however have a few additional points to raise:
> - how would this testsuite look (online app or desktop client)?
> - what would be its license
> - will the OASIS be its author/copyright holder?

If done in OASIS, and with contributions by OASIS members, then we'll need to follow the OASIS IP rules.  If we form a new TC, then we get to pick from the allowed IP "modes" for OASIS TC's, most likely "RF with Limited Terms", or if we work within an existing TC it would inherit that TC's IP mode.

The output of the TC would be at least:

1) An overview document defining the conformance assessment methodology.
2) A set of many ODF test case documents, that are referred to by the overview document
3) Some source code for automating the assessment procedure.  This would not be mandatory, but assessors may find it useful.  This could be server or client based.
4) Some source code for tools that the TC shares for automating some of the test production tasks, such as validating test files to the ODF schema, inserting test case metadata into test case files, stripping out extraneous vendor settings from test case files, etc.

We would want to verify this all with OASIS staff, of course, but my reading is that all member contributions to a TC come with both a non-exclusive copyright assignment (to OASIS) as well as patent obligations to make available essential claims to those who make, use, sell, etc., things that implement the specification.

-Rob