Subject: RE: [odf-adoption] ODF logo

I can't claim great expertise in branding, but I think this is too busy to
be an effective logo. It has four elements -- the bird, the OASIS bug, 'ODF'
and 'Liberate Your Documents' -- which is at least one if not two too many.
Purple and gold not very appealing colors. I recommend that the original
artwork in the original colors be an option. Best,
Marino

-----Original Message-----
From: Carol Geyer [mailto:carol.geyer@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:09 PM
To: 'odf-adoption@lists.oasis-open.or'
Subject: [odf-adoption] ODF logo

ODF Adoption Committee:

The ODF community logo page
(http://opendocument.xml.org/wiki/odf-community-logo) has been up since 17
Jan.
Six comments were received: two in favor of the Fellowship design, four in
favor of the gold dove (including one in favor of using both the dove and
the
bent corner OASIS bug).

Instead of waiting two more weeks to discuss the ODF logo in Committee, I'd
like to suggest we move to a conclusion on this.

My official OASIS recommendation is that we approve the two versions that
incorporate the OASIS brand identity. The gold dove can be used for
applications such as posters, T-shirts, and other printed collateral. The
smaller one (bent corner OASIS bug) could be used in Web page design and
small
signage.

While the ODF Fellowship design is nice and simple, it's not as distinctive
or
recognizable as the other alternatives, it doesn't convey the freedom
benefit
as well as the dove, and it doesn't incorporate the OASIS brand. Naturally,
feel strongly that the logo should convey ODF's status as the product of an
international open standard consortium.

I think everyone has had ample time to weigh in on this. Can we open a
Committee ballot and vote? I would like to inform the OASIS Board of the
Committee's final decision before we publicly announce anything.

Thanks,
Carol