Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] Moving ahead with the ODF Implementation, Interoperabilityand Conformance (IIC) TC

"Charles-H. Schulz" <charles-h.schulz@arsaperta.com> wrote on 05/21/2008 12:54:52 PM:

> > (1) The name of the discussion list, which shall not be the same as
> > the name of the list in which the TC itself shall operate if formed.
> >
> > The proposed discussed list name is "odf-iic-formation".
>
> I'd propose "oiic-formation" for more simplicity....

OK.  That is easier to remember.

> > (2) A preliminary statement of scope for the TC whose formation the
> > list is intended to discuss.
> >
> > It is the intent of the ODF IIC TC to provide a means for software
> > vendors to create applications which adhere to the ODF specification
> > and are able to interoperate. As such, the purpose of the IIC TC
> > includes the following:
> >    • To publish test suites of ODF for applications of ODF to check
> > their conformance with the Standard and to confirm their
> > interoperability;
> >    • To provide feedback, where necessary, to the ODF TC on ways in
> > which the standard could improve interoperability;
> >    • To produce a set of reference implementation guidelines;
> >    • To define interoperability with related markup standards by the
> > creation of profiles or technical reports;
> >    • To help coordinate OASIS InterOp demos related to ODF;
>
> The last one would perhaps be up to the ODF Adoption TC to manage. I'm
> also a bit unsure  about the guidelines for a reference
> implementation. Do we actually want such a thing, or do we rather want
> general implementation guidelines that can be considered as an easy
> "implementor starter pack"?

I meant reference guidelines for implementations, not guidelines for reference implementations.  Maybe clearer if we just leave out the word "reference" and say: "To produce a set of implementation guidelines"?

As for the InteropDemo, that could be done in conjunction with the Adoption TC.  I think there is natural overlap there.

I copied much of the above from the ebXML IIC TC.  You can see their charter here:  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ebxml-iic/charter.php

> > The IIC TC may also liaise with other standard bodies whose work is
> > leveraged in present or future ODF specifications. These include,
> > but are not limited to, the W3C and ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34.
> > (3) The names, electronic mail addresses, and OASIS Organizational
> > or Individual Membership affiliations of the three or more Eligible
> > Persons proposing to create the discussion list.
> >
> > Rob Weir, robert_weir@us.ibm.com, IBM
> >
> if I may: Charles-H. Schulz, charles-h.schulz@arsaperta.com , Ars
> Aperta .

Thanks!