Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] Odf camp again

Louis.Suarez-Potts@Sun.COM wrote on 08/13/2008 12:01:33 AM:

> Last year, I set up a wiki for the ODF camp:
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/ODF_Camp
>
> I also created a mail list on OOo and a web page addendum to the
> marketing OOoCon pages. I am sure I'll do the same this year.
>
> But we do have discuss the focus of this coming camp, or workshop,
> as it should more accurately be called. The goal of establishing on
> a firm, technologically verifiable footing, harmony among the ODF
> implementations is a good one and one that I've long advocated. I am
> not sure we can do it all in one day, let alone half a day, but the
> point is to establish a solid basis, to get to know others involved
> in the project (ODF), and to learn of all the minuses and pluses.
>
> So, let's start discussions on this!

Sorry I missed the call today.

I think we should consider the range of items the Adoption TC needs to
work on in advance of Beijing conference.

1) We need to get our mini-presentations ready for our "ODF
Interoperability: Perspectives" session.  At some point, the organizers
will be calling for us to submit the presentations for advance posting on
the web.  Has anyone seen a date posted for this yet?  Since time will be
tight, we might try to aim for a combining the slides all into one deck.

2) Is there anyone outside the usual core group who we want to attend the
ODF Workshop?  If so, we need to invite them now, get them interested, and
get them to start making their travel plans and requesting their visa.

3) Do we want any ODF collateral at the conference, to hand out?  We have
an official ODF logo, right?   Do we want to arrange for T-shirts for the
adoption TC to wear?  Any whitepapers to hand out?  ODF-logo chop sticks?
Any of this would need some lead time.

4) As for the workshop itself, we should quickly get to a broad outline of
the day, enough that we can invite people to attend.  The required
additional time for visa processing means we cannot wait until October
before we start signing people up.  Of course, the schedule can be
somewhat in flux until late, but we should get the outline of the day
fixed soon.

Last year, if you recall, it was an ODF interop workshop, preceded by a
presentation by Peter Vandenabeele.  I think it worked well, but I don't
think we necessarily are limited to repeating that same kind of workshop
again this year.  The question is what works well from an workshop
perspective, when we have implementors together, face-to-face?

a) Could have a segment of it be interop testing
b) Maybe some ODF 2.0 brainstorming
c) May have some spreadsheet formula conformance tests ready to try out

Any other _potential_ activities?

-Rob