Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] Education for ODF

Louis.Suarez-Potts@Sun.COM wrote on 09/30/2008 08:53:46 AM:

> Let's discuss ways to get ODF taught in schools, including vocational
> and post-secondary; fancy schools, too. Focusing on ODF allows us all
> to work together here and will vastly simplify adoption of the format.
>
> The model I want to pursue is the one devised by Seneca College here
> in Toronto. Mozilla, Red Hat (Fedora) have invested in it and the
> results have been excellent. Students have come out able to (and
> doing) extensions to Mozilla and also work on Linux. OpenOffice.org is
> now working with Seneca and we will see what happens, but I am
> optimistic.
>
> What we would need:
>
> * basic information about ODF
> * basic *technological* information
> * basic to-dos, of the sort that students of various levels can manage
> in a semester (3-4 months)
> * mentors, either in person or remote, ie, via video, recorded or live

A question:  do you mean how to use ODF as an end-user, meaning how to use
an ODF-application like OpenOffice?  Or do you mean, how to use ODF as
document format, meaning dealing with XML and programming?

Is knowledge of XML common in pre-university studies?  Or do we see this
only in university?

One approach would be to focus on ODF Toolkit programming rather than the
XML directly.

Another approach would be to target a specialized CS subject, like digital
typography, and have companion ODF-based activities for it.  For example,
it might be a reasonable project for a student to write a basic text
layout engine in a semester, one that is typographically correct,
demonstrates word wrapping, hyphenation, widow/orphan control, etc.  Why
not do this with ODF?

-Rob