Subject: RE: [odf-adoption] academic ideas & focus re ODF Adoption and Union

Hi Louis,

Excellent points.

> But I would also suggest looking at
> CMSs, as they are a very rapidly growing sector, and differ in their
> management of file formats, with eZ Publish expressing data as ODF but

> Alfresco having, I believe, im/ex functionality only.

Indeed, as mentioned before, I think one of the reasons of lack of
adoption is the lack of well-known libraries in various (scripting)
languages. I know there are a few libraries available for Python and
PHP, but I doubt that they are well-known by developers :/

So it could be wise to add a link on the odftoolkit page pointing to the
list of libraries/applications that's already published on the ODF
Adoption wiki (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/odf-adoption/OdfProjects)

(BTW: speaking as a developer, it would be nice to have the same API
available in Java, .NET, PHP, Python and Ruby)

> Don also suggested that David E. be a kind of ambassador for
> academics, as the topic is ripe for development by professors as well

> as students.

Indeed. Are you familiar with X-Smiles browser ? Originally, it was a
student software project, but now it's a multimedia XML browser. Might
be worthwhile to contact them to see how they organized it and/or as an
example of a XML-standards-project success story.

http://www.x-smiles.org/xsmiles_objectives.html

Possible students projects:
- create a viewer for an embedded platform
- create a library for your favorite language
- test interoperability ;-)
- ...

Small question, are there any plans to repeat the ODF Olympiad
http://www.odfolympiad.org/ ?

Best regards,

Bart