Subject: Details on OpenDocument XML.org External Referral Sites

Rob posed an interesting question on today's call concerned external sites
stats on the XML.org report I sent yesterday. Neil Schelly, the OASIS Senior
Systems Administrator, offers the explanation below:

-----Original Message-----
From: Neil Joseph Schelly [mailto:neil.schelly@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:17 AM
To: Carol Geyer
Subject: Re: FW: OpenDocument XML.org Stats

It's called referer spam (spelling mistake intentional, as a result of
referer being part of the HTTP spec).  When you submit a request to a
website, you also submit the referer field, which is the page address you
are clicking from.  This is how those statistics about where people are
clicking from are generated from.

Somewhere along the line, a lot of sites started reporting this stuff
openly.

The premise of spam is to get links to the spam sites on other sites.  These
pharma sites would get value out of having our site link to theirs.  If
these pages were open, then every request they submit to our site would
create a link to their site like above.  It doesn't work on us since these
data bits aren't available to anyone except logged in users, but they try
anyway.
-N

--
Neil Schelly, Senior Systems Administrator
http://www.oasis-open.org/