Subject: Unified ODF Icons

Hi all,

Following a discussion held last spring, in the 09 March 2009 OpenOffice.org
  Engineering Steering Committee (ESC) [0], we at OpenOffice.org are
introducing a unified set document icons meant to promote the
OpenDocument Format (ODF) clearly and memorably, and without regard to
vendor or product identity.

The argument in the March ESC meeting was for an icon set that raised
the awareness of ODF as a format that works across all platforms and
implementations. The icons do not promote a vendor's brand but the
format's identity--a point that we've long debated here and, if memory
serves me right, long wanted.

These icons will be used in OOo 3.2 as well as in the next release of
StarOffice. But they are not specific to those products nor limited to
them. Rather, they are free to be used by all other implementations,
as they are not vendor specific and do not make any claim about vendor
identity. We also recognize that they are a work in progress, open and
free of encumbrances, and so I am asking the TC members here (and in
other relevant OASIS TCs) to examine them, discuss them, work on them,
and if needed, improve them. These icons are meant to promote the ODF,
not a vendor's product. They are thus in keeping with our stated goal
here.

Because the icons are not particular to any implementation but general
to all, they can be found at the ODF Toolkit Union [1], and
discussions related to the icons, as well as work, can reasonably be
held there. Of course, discussions related to them can be held here,
too.

As well, I'm attaching a picture of them here:

TIFF image

Cheers,

Louis

[0] <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/ESC_meeting_minutes_20090309#proposal_for_unified_ODF_Document_icons

[1] <http://odftoolkit.org/projects/odftoolkit/pages/ODF-Icons>

--
Louis Suarez-Potts, PhD
Community Manager, Sun Microsystems, Inc.