Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] Unified ODF Icons with OOo 3.2

Hi,
Thanks for the response....

On 2009-09-22, at 18:05 , Hanssens Bart wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Well, I do find that the icons are indeed very nice-looking and, in
> fact,
> quite clear in what file type they represent.

I'm sure in future iterations they'll get even clearer.

> Personally, I'd rather stick with the built-in icons of my own
> environment,
> instead of installing a new set of icons that perhaps don't blend in
> that
> well with the other icons on my desktop (GNOME on Ubuntu).

:-) That is your (free) choice. But the idea is precisely to highlight
the unique identity of the ODF format, not the underlying OS or
implementation, of course.

> It could be useful on Windows, although I'm not sure if a user would
> want to have, say, an application icon for .doc, .rtf, .docx on one
> hand
> and a specific icon for .odt on the other hand (they're all documents
> that can be opened in your word processor, right ?), but marketing a
> format instead of an application is of course interesting :-)

Yes. So we are marketing in effect a set of capabilities. This is not
in itself a new thing. And we are trying then to link that set of
potential with recognizable icons. Again, not new. But disarticulating
them from the actual implementation is ... also not new. After all,
don't generic medications do the same thing? We buy for functionality,
not for brand, when we buy generic.

So, too, here, though we eschew the term, "generic," as it is inapt.

> Best regards,
>
> Bart

Thanks
Louis