Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] Proposal: ODF Icons

Hi Louis,

The challenge here is that some vendors want their icons to harmonize with
their application's visual design.  They want it to be an extension of
their "look".  So the user sees the document icons in their folder, and
that these resemble the icons for launching their editors, and these in
turn resemble the splash screen and title border of their application.  So
there is coordination of color scheme and other aspects of visual design
across all of these.

So I'm not sure you'll get wide buy-in on "Removal of any product- or
vendor-specific brand".

Another approach would be a unifying thematic element that all icons could
include in their own product-specific icons.  You see that, for example,
with the little "PDF" box you see in the upper left of a PDF document

Of course, this is far outside my area of expertise, so I'd love to hear
other views on this.

-Rob