Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] Proposal: ODF Icons

Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM wrote on 12/10/2009 05:15:25 AM:

> I think we are not talking about icons that vendors must use, but icons
> that vendors may use.
>
> If vendors want to add their "look" or (if Bart mentioned) want to show
> previews instead, then they may do so. But I consider it to be
> reasonable to anyway provide "neutral" icons for those who want to use
> them. These icons further may provide the basis for all those who want
> to add their "look" if we provide some basic rules how to do that.
>
> Additionally, there may be places where the icons must be vendor
> neutral. For instance, if we want to add some icons to the Wikipedia
> entry on ODF/OpenDocument. Or if we want to ask OASIS to configure icons

> for IDF document into KAVI. Currently where are icons for PDF, HTML and
> even Microsoft Word documents, but none for ODF.
>
> So, even if we know that not all vendors may adopt them, agreeing on a
> unified ODF icon set seems to be very reasonable to me.

OK.  That's fine.  I have no objection to making these icons available for
those who want to use them.  I'm just pointing out why we would not be
able to use them for Symphony.

What might be useful -- and maybe the project in the Toolkit Union can
work on this -- is to have a unified set of graphical elements that
promote ODF.  So not just the icons, but the complete "kit", including:

- images of various sizes for embedding in web pages, ranging from large
banners for headers to vertical images for sidebars, etc.

- very small icons, perhaps to be used in an icon set with CSS as
hyperlink cues.  For example:
http://www.askthecssguy.com/2006/12/showing_hyperlink_cues_with_cs_1.html

- a vector graphics (SVG maybe) for the logo for when a scalable image is
needed

- a B&W logo for use in B&W print material

- a specification of the main logo, including the name of the typefaces
used, the RDB values for the color scheme, etc.  This is useful for making
pages that harmonize well with the art work.

This might be a good goal, to have a complete "kit" of these images.

-Rob