Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] ODF Next Workshop (plus) for fall 2011Netherlands

Louis,

Le Wed, 18 May 2011 10:36:19 -0400,
Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Charles,
>
> On 2011-05-18, at 12:33 , Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
>
> > Hello Louis,
> >
> > I'm afraid your proposal conflicts with the LibreOffice conference
> > as I had had the opportunity to point out many times already.
> > Please choose another date which won't be in September, October or
> > November .
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Charles.
> >

> Sorry, the issue here is not whether we satisfy the concerns of
> LibreOffice, which is but a vendor (effectively) distributing an
> implementation of the ODF but the interests of ODF contributing
> bodies.

The issue here is that quite incidentally, holding such an ODF event
at these times would deplete the availability and will of potential
sponsors for the LibreOffice Conference as well as lower the attendance
of the LibreOffice Conference. So I would indeed argue that by
satisfying the logistical concerns of one of the major ODF vendors we
are contributing to further the interest and agenda of ODF.

What's more, you have assumed for years now that the OOoCON would be
the de facto ODF event. I don't recall you being so adamant at
preserving the apparent neutrality of the event. What has changed in
between last year and this year?

> During the TC meeting where this idea was proposed initially by Steve
> Pemberton—not just me—I did raise the concern about intersecting with
> already scheduled meetings and did raise the option of working with
> the LibreOffice people should there be no other option. But there
> are. And this is not about LibreOffice, and it is about ODF.
>
> If you wish to contribute to the planning, please consider
> participating in the proposed call.

I can't unfortunately (if we're talking about this Thursday) and find
this confcall schedule to be quite shortly advertised. What's the rush?
But please consider my contribution to the planning in being
essentially that one: I will oppose any new ODF event that will take
place in September, October or November.

> Louis
>
> PS this discussion is not about Oracle and LibreOffice nor about
> OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice, nor about LibreOffice at all.  It is
> about ODF.

Of course it's not about Oracle and it's not about OpenOffice.org. I
never implied that. And I'm glad you don't represent any constituency
anymore so that we can put the past behind us :-)

Best,
Charles.