Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] DFD event in Europarl

Le mardi 20 mars 2012 à 22:09 -0400, robert_weir@us.ibm.com a écrit :
> <odf-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org> wrote on 03/20/2012 10:46:45 AM:
>
> > From: André Rebentisch <andre.rebentisch@arsaperta.com>
> > To: odf-adoption <odf-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org>,
> > Date: 03/20/2012 11:05 AM
> > Subject: [odf-adoption] DFD event in Europarl
> > Sent by: <odf-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org>
> >
> > fyi
> >
> > Document Freedom Day: Open standards in the eBook market
> > Brussels, 28 March 2012 from 16:30 to 19:00
> > http://www.greens-efa.eu/document-freedom-day-5297.html
> >

> Interesting.  I didn't think there was an issue with e-book
> standards.  The issue was the DRM that is layered on top of the e-book
> formats.  Is that how you see it?  Or are there format-level issues as
> well?
>
> -Rob

Well, it's not just the DRM, it's also the need to push for Open
Standards for e-book file formats as well, so here we have two key value
propositions I think:
* DRM free (absence of vendor lock-in and enabling real interop)
* an innovative, xml based format that's a real open standard (no weird
extensions just like what you see in ePub 3) , perfectly apt for ebooks
and one that is reusable in other contexts: office documents, "smart
documents", complex data management, etc.

Best,

--
Charles-H. Schulz
Associé / Partner,