Subject: OASIS ODF Adoption TC: Mission Accomplished; Next Steps...

During the July 10 TC Coordination meeting  the voting members of the OASIS ODF Adoption TC approved a motion to hold an electronic ballot to determine if the majority of TC Voting members are in favor of closing the TC.  As I result, I will open an electronic ballot on the question:  'Shall the ODF Adoption TC  be closed?'

I have served as either Co-Chair or Chair of this TC since its inception in March 2006 and wish to offer some observations.

The active TC members expressed their views that the TC's statement of purpose as defined in the charter has been successfully achieved. ODF is well established in the industry with a diverse, and vibrant ecosystem of applications and solutions. This includes the recent announcement from Microsoft to uplevel support of ODF 1.2 in the forthcoming Office 15 release, the availability of Apache OpenOffice,  LibreOffice, Calligra Suite, Gnumeric,  etc. Additionally, new innovations represented by WebODF and the ODF Toolkit are now available and continue to improve. ODF Viewers are offered for mobile device support. In other words, there is a growing and vibrant ecosystem of ODF applications and solutions available in the market today.

An excerpt from our TC Charter states the purpose of the ODF Adoption TC as follows:

The purpose of the OASIS OpenDocument Format Adoption Committee is to create awareness and demand for a new class of applications and solutions designed specifically to support and leverage OpenDocument XML. The Adoption Committee will dedicate its energy and resources to create wide scale understanding of the benefits of OpenDocument format support within organizations and governmental bodies through education and promotion. The Adoption Committee will align and support the activities of the OASIS OpenDocument Technical Committee by providing market-based requirements. These requirements will help guide future development of the OpenDocument specification by the OASIS OpenDocument Technical Committee.

After six years of effort, we believe we have successfully achieved these results.

We also believe the ODF Adoption mission may possibly be renewed and reconstituted as a Subcommittee within the OASIS ODF TC. We will be bringing forward a proposal for consideration in the near future to discuss this.

Regards

Don Harbison  550 King St
Program Director, Apache OpenOffice, IBM ODF Initiative, Software Group  Littleton, 01460-1250
Phone: +1-978-899-5444  Usa
Mobile: +1-978-761-0116
e-mail: donald_harbison@us.ibm.com