Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] Object names in OOo

Malte Timmermann <Malte.Timmermann@Sun.COM> wrote on 02/02/2006 12:30:04 PM:

> Hi,
>
> I have just checked how OOo stores extra names for some objects.
> Do we just need names, or do we need name *and* description?
>
> Best regards,
> Malte.

> Single shape with name:
> <draw:rect draw:name="Name of single shape" .....
>
> Image with name:
> <draw:frame draw:name="Name of image" .....
>
> Group with name:
> <draw:g draw:name="Name of group">
>
> Hyper link with name:
> <text:a xlink:type="simple" xlink:href=""http://www.openoffice.org/" > office:name="Comment for the link">...

My understanding was that the draw:name attribute was more intended as an identifier, for programmatic access, etc.  The ODF specification requires that draw:name be unique, for example, and that is not something that I think we would want to be a restriction on accessibility hint text.

If we want both (similar to HTML's alt and longdesc)then we could use SVG's svg:title and svg:desc which are intended to be not rendered in visual media, but made available to other user agents, viz. http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/struct.html#DescElement

-Rob