Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] Minutes: February 10 Accessibility SubteamMeeting

Hi Nathaniel,

> Peter Korn <Peter.Korn@Sun.COM> wrote on 02/14/2006 07:18:52 PM:
>
> > I'm not surprised (or disappointed) that this is out of scope for a
> file
> > format standardization effort, even if it is all about accessibility.
> > But many of the folks in this subcommittee are in fact the right folks
> > to be working on this.  And if our goal is to make ODF a standard that
> > meets accessibility needs, then this is very much an issue that must be
> > addressed somewhere...
> >
> > So... any thoughts as to where this is best addressed?
>
> Well, first of all I should say that I am really new to this area, so
> I don't know where there are minefields or bodies buried.  However, a
> naive web search led me to:
>

>         http://www.ataccess.org/
>

> This kind of education seems right up their alley -- their FAQS are
> particularly wonderful.  Perhaps we should be considering jointly
> pursuing some ODF-related work at one or more non-profits like this
> one?  I guess I could use a tutorial in the politics of accessibility.

You are a distinguished engineer at IBM.  You have presumably been
developing software for a long time.  How many of the ODF documents that
you have created, which include images, have those images labeled?

More documentation about such things at places like
http://www.ataccess.org/ is certainly a good and welcome thing.  But
also largely ineffective at reaching the masses of thoughtful, senior
technical folks like yourself, let alone the unwashed masses.

The minefield/body that is buried is actually a very large elephant, and
he is in the middle of our room.  That elephant is that folks don't
create accessible content - and a larger and larger fraction of the
world population is now creating content that other folks want to read
(Gutenberg's printing press was nothing compared to the web).

> In the short term, we ought to make sure this is on the agenda for the
> proposed ODF Promotion TC, though that doesn't really seem adequate
> for the long term.  -- Nathaniel

Yes, on both counts.

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,