Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] RNIB

Dave,

This all makes sense. This is a good starting point. I am concerned about preserving structure.

Also, do you have thoughts on how we can help with Braille support in the markup?

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=441

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.", Frost

Inactive hide details for "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com>"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com>

          "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com>

          02/21/2006 07:45 AM

Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com>

cc

mpaciello@paciellogroup.com, office-accessibility@lists.oasis-open.org, "Janina Sajka" <janina@rednote.net>

Subject

Re: [office-accessibility] RNIB

Starting at the top then.
1. Scope.
1.1 Assume Writer, then presentation transforms developed in that order.
1.2 Which version of 'daisy'. Current version is NISO Z3986 2005
(known as daisy 2005).
     Most of the world, my guess, is using daisy 2.02, from 2001.
Transforms are being built both ways.
     There is an inbetween version,
http://www.loc.gov/nls/z3986/index.html
    Propose use 2005 version.
1.3 Propose limit transform scope to Xalan 2.7, i.e. XSLT 1.0, with
any EXSLT extensions that Xalan supports. This rather than XSLT 2.0,
not yet a rec.
1.4. Testing to be based on standard test files. I'm currently asking
on the dev list
     about obtaining them.
2.0 Limits.
2.1    Even with daisy 2005, I can't see metadata being an issue, hard
requirements
are minimal. I'll make proposals here for any additions when I've done
a cross comparison.
2.2 I'll defer a decision on structure, my gut reaction is to keep the
output flat, within a top level (daisy level) wrapper. Daisy has
nested sections, 1 to 6. That would leave navigation to be selected
from embedded headers or other markup, possible when building a daisy
book.

Does that sound a fair starting point?

--
Dave Pawson